Saturday, June 09, 2007

Only Sydney University would be so ... pretentious?

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

They have webcams overlooking their construction sites for the oh-so many inquisitive minds that are actually interested in the Campus 2010 project. Or is it 2015 now? It certainly isn't 2010 with the progress being made.

The latest photos aren't exactly great examples, because it is teaming down with rain today. It's been raining so much I'm half expecting to see Noah sail by the second story window here. Crazy weather huh? I guess it means that with so many other people having power and phone problems, my loss of landline and Internet connection doesn't rank high with Telstra (yes, I've lost Internet access once again, with one last assessment and exams coming up).

Anyway, back to the construction works at Sydney. They started in '05 I believe (I know that for my first year the giant hole in the ground used to be a little park) and have been going since - that means digging a massive hole, concreting the sides, and now they are putting scaffolding up. Eventually the building that is the final product will be the world's biggest glass house. I don't expect it to last long with all the 'stone throwing' that will inevitably happen. This is Sydney Uni after all. Whether it's the lecturers saying something outrageous or some student body meeting about saving the world and hating capitalism, only to then go and indulge in some form of capitalism themselves. Idiots.

If things do get finished by 2010, that means that upon my (supposed) graduation, the place will finally be finished. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing - it's quite an enjoyable distraction watching unionised workers mill around from Fisher, knowing that even in my second year of a degree I'm more educated and, thus, far above them. And that's not just because I'm looking ten plus stories down at them.

Thomas.

4 comments:

Michael P. said...

Snob!

Thomas said...

And proud of it!

Anonymous said...

Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Jobbs didn't go to university. Does that mean that you're more superior than them for having an "education"? No. Don't be a dickhead.

Thomas said...

I reserve my right to be a dickhead, exercise it, and then continue to believe that I am, at the least, superior to you. Although an education (notice the meaningless quotation marks are removed) is hardly needed to rise above you.