Monday, July 03, 2006

For those who are able, late-night television is far better than prime-time. I've already expressed my views on the fantastic Arrested Development, but one un-sung hero of comedy is The Office. I began by watching the BBC version of this, and alas I couldn't take to it. However, the NBC adaptation is quickly becoming one of my favourites. And last night's episode was a reason why. It is, once again, a unique "genre" (in the sense that it is a documentary with the second wall (that between the camera and the characters) is broken down to non-existant) that is going unnoticed and unappreciated by commercial television and it's viewers alike.

This show is led by an extremely apt and able group of actors. The most well-known of these is the extremely skilled and talented Steve Carell, only recently widely-known to the more contemporary audience with such films as Anchorman and The Forty Year Olf Virgin. As the boss, I have had quite a many person who have seen his performance tell me "If you ever work in an office, you will meet a person like that.". This appears to be a testiment to the quality actor that Carell is. And he appitomises just what a 'bad' boss would be in my mind. John Krasinski's portrayal of a guy who's stuck in a situation he doesn't really want to be in is memorable every episode. And the great thing is, though these two are, in a sense, contrasts in each episode, Carell's and Krasinski's characters regularly finish out episodes with very few character-personality differences. Rainn Wilson probably has the hardest task in portraying Dwight Schrute, but so often I am reminded of people I know that resemble this suck-up, which further reinforces the notion that the cast of this great show are the people that make it great.

Clayton Northcutt.

No comments: