Thursday, April 26, 2007

What an exciting (Edit: yes) night last night was. I was prepping myself early in the evening for an all-niter to watch the cricket semi-final, sitting in the computer, trying to chip away aet the mountain of work for university (which is the reason why updates have been absent from here as of late), when it all started. For an far less entertaining and detailed recount, simply watch any hourly news and you will see that a the Picnic Point Bowling Club was held up with people wielding machetes and a hammer. My house backs onto this club, and our back gate opens up to the greens. The patrons who fought back and the police who turned up caught two guys on the spot, while two ran for the hills. And whose fence did one of these intelligent fellows decide to jump over? Ours of course. Through our backyard he went, took off his recognisable clothing, left them in our garden, and opened our side gate before making a bee-line for the house across the street where I'm told he jumped their fence (and dumping off some more clothes) and made his way to Henry Lawson Drive (where he was subsequently caught). So from about 8:30pm onwards our yard was just filled with police looking at these clothes, talking to us, taking statements (my brush with fame was that when I heard the noises outside, I ran to my front window and watched as this person ran across our lawn and through the bushes across the road, the only person of our family to see him) and what have you.

Finally, 11:30pm rolled around and the cricket started. Of course, the police were still around, but that wasn't going to become me and my cricket. I can only imagine what the officers standing guard imagined what I was watching with the hysterics the match put me in. Seriously, South Africa are bigger chokers than Greg "Six Shot Lead" Norman. Smith should be outed as Captain, Kallis should be dropped and something done to their support team, like bring in a shrink for each person.

When the score was 6 for, the CSI team (no, seriously) turned up, enquired to the score and took photos, bagged the clothes and whatever else it is they did, then came back to the back door just to find out what the score was. In the time they were there, Australia had cleaned up the haphazard South African team and the CSI's strolled off laughing.

Then came the rather disappointing (of sorts) batting performance by Australia. Even when we win the Cup, I seriously think that domestic wicket keepers should be looked at for their batting vs. keeping performance. Gilchrist is still the best keeper in the world, but he simply cannot bat anymore. It just looks like his near-record century a while ago was a fluke. Either look at dropping him or dropping him down the order and opening with Hussey.

Anyway, 6:30am came around, match and presentations were done, and I went to bed. Woke up at 1:30pm to a phone call saying our house was on television and that camera crews had been all over the place all morning. While I was slightly bummed that I missed that, I was glad that I was able to watch another shambles performance by South Africa. Out of all the teams I enjoy watching lose, I enjoy watching South Africa lose the most. And especially like that.

Now to take care of the World's Biggest Cheats: Sri Lanka.

Thomas.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, what a night! But Thomas, now we know where you live we might just send The Boys around... ;)

You didn't happen to go to Picnic Point High did you? If so, who was Head of English then?

Unknown said...

Thy heathen Picnic Point!

No, I'm an East Hills Boy ... boy. Though I know quite a few people who went to Picnic Point. I shall inquire into your question.

And sure, send The Boys around. We'll bust out some beers, have a laugh, turn it into a party.

Thomas.

Anonymous said...

Did you notice that credit for the police response was claimed as part of "Operation Victa," which otherwise was claimed to have commenced on Thursday.

See:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/04/30/1177788001787.html

Something fishy about that, surely?

Thomas said...

Dodgey indeed. Perhaps when they caught the fourth person of the two the got away the included that in their stats, otherwise it looks like political stat-fixing to me once again.

Or it's a conspiracy where the robbers were disgruntled police officers. Perhaps a test on stress management to make sure that less of this happens:

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/bm/national/762052.html

Thomas.