Sunday, November 19, 2006

Now, being a 'loyal' reader of the blog New Lines From A Floating Life, I have managed to keep tabs on, though in no way attempt to partake in, an online argument/disagreement/tiff between two bloggers, on the author of said blog and the author of Seeking Utopia.

Now I sat back and cried at the somewhat childish/playground happenings, as it severely lowered my benchmark for certain peoples. Then again, I cannot really blame at least one party, as they are not a 'product' (as I like to call it, though lay no claim to originating the dubious definition) of the technology age, in fact, they are at least a generation removed guessing by photos (and good on him for not shielding away from the 'scary' technological world). However, it is quite sad to watch an online argument play-out, as, after going through my phase of seeking out Net-guments, and having fun with them (in reality, I was enjoying the activity of aggravating and pissing off people more than anything), I have come to live by the motto:

In an online argument, nobody wins.*

And, once again, nobody wins in the, what appears to be now, mud-slinging (not all that different to what is happening in the N.S.W. Parliament) from one side to besmirch others.

With that being said, I'm going act the hypocrite I actually am (and pride myself on being for some reason) and weigh in on this debate. In this post, one assumes that the brunt of these accusations about a "boring blog" are directed at this man and this blog (due note, author I am referencing, that if I have wrongly interpreted your writings, I will be happy to amend the post you read with a formal apology**). Now, I found it hard to comprehend point one (which probably, no, actually lead to me laughing at this post, and not being able to take the rest of it seriously, as I expect the author intended), in that, and I quote:

1. Does the blog author write his or her own material (as I do) or is each post filled with links to other people's work and ideas? Such a person either can't write or lacks the talent to be original! Or, most likely, both!

Hmmm. Well, last time I checked, though I may be wrong, as it was, oh, a couple of weeks ago, and you know how times are a' changing, but when you write a piece (any piece) you try to SOURCE what you can to back said piece. If you are writing some sort of prose, you include sources to support your statements. If you are writing an opinion piece, you include sources that support your opinion. Now, please dear readers, email me, leave comments, write me, tell me face-to-face if I am wrong, and I will alter my thoughts and posts***. However, I don't feel I am wrong in thinking that you need sources to support your claims, and thus, you are wrong, author of Seeking Utopia. Dead wrong. But, then again, most people are wrong when it comes to a difference of any sort with me, and if I ever might be wrong, I'm not, it is merely someone else who told me the wrong facts that is wrong, and you are certainly not right.

Ok, so, please, have a perusal of the 'characteristics' that make a blog boring, and do note that I managed to fulfill 1 (by linking to author profiles and blogs, and sourcing my facts), 2 (because I don't use titles, nor do I use pictures on my blog (not, for example, my DeviantArt account, which is specifically for images, and not my blog entries. If you want pictures, Google Image Search is very able, though be careful of images of the 'adulterous' nature, or not beware if that is what you are looking for (I don't judge)). Whoops, there's three more links!), 3 (I perceive this as an attack on the lacking morals, maturity and nature of this author (another link!)), 4 (I only receive comments from, shock and awe, my readers, which make up "a small, local group" when compared to the totality of Internet usage), 5 (I believe I am using this blog to push my own agenda, as is any other bogger. Now, it may very well happen that a collective of bloggers, also known as a blogette****, share similar agendas, but their blogs are still pushing their agenda), 6 (Oh hell yes! I like to imagine I've received an above average education, but reminiscing on my days at school, what with my bludging and some of my teachers, I can't say received above average. Also, I believe I use "semantic tricks" when debating as, well, because all we have is God-damned WORDS, what you don't say and what you do is likely to be of importance numb-skull! Thus, pointing out that, say, when you try and name all the primary colours and you say "They are red, blue and not red or blue" you aren't saying yellow, and, therefore, omitted the specific colour of yellow, thus proving lack of knowledge) 7 (I have zip-all comments, don't boast in writing, but have a counter at the very bottom of my page, and thus am obviously trying to make out this blog to be something that it isn't. God forbid I want this to be something, like, I don't know, a place to write, and tell people that it's a place to write) 8 (The actual phrasing of this passage is unclear, and because I use comment moderation, and I saw that question in there, I feel that my blog is even more boring as a result, not that I care though, and I will come to this later ... well, now).

Frankly, because I broke all the 'rules' as to what a boring blog is, I still don't give two tosses, left, right, forwards or back, as to whether my blog is perceived as:

a) Boring
b) Interesting

Do you know why? Because I'm not bloody writing this blog for someone else, or to get a fan-base or to get paid. I am writing it because every now-and-then I want to write, and because there is no Write Whatever The Fuck You Want 1001 at Sydney University (although I sometimes have questions as to whether this is really called Sociology at uni). And in sum, I don't care if people find my blog overly-interesting or overly-boring. If people do enjoy it, great. If people don't, I have no ill feelings, or suffer any emotional state that is worse than what it was if I didn't know altogether.

On a side note (other than the fact that this author professes to be a professional thinker, which seems to be negated by his unprofessional thinking in this post), I would have posted this as a shorter, condensed and to-the-point comment on Seeking Utopia, but I couldn't actually find a way to post comments, which I suppose makes Seeking Utopia a boring blog, as well as laughable and, well, ridiculous, not to mention the home to someone who probably thinks girls have cooties and children arrive from the stalk, such is the naivety of the author in question. There may have been a way to post comments, but in this age of simplicity and ease, because it would have required me doing research of my own (another factor that makes this blog boring, because researching to find a source is supposedly forbidden) I couldn't be fucked trying. Which generally sums up my experience with Seeking Utopia: I couldn't be fucked trying to read through anything past the first post from here on in.

Thomas.

Now for my poor-man's footnotes:
* - Nobody wins, unless you're Thomas, then you win automatically because, as is well known, I'm always right.
** - No I won't. That was a lie, just like this author's post about characteristics to define a boring blog. It is biased, subjective and pathetic. But, if this person can lie, and think he can get away with it, so can I; the only difference is, I don't think I'm going to get away with it.
*** - Yeah, nah, that won't be happening either. After all, I'm right, you're wrong and England prevails! Wait, that's a line from the movie V For Vendetta.
**** - I just, to the best of my knowledge (which means I really did just, because I'm right), made that up.

No comments: