Thursday, May 31, 2007

So, as I commented on a blog two days ago, yesterday, Fischer Library was giving out free books. To keep and not have to worry about that pesky return date, or other students needing the "essential readings". I personally think it should be a free-for-all in the library where if you need a book, its to first person to get out the door with it. Maybe it shouldn't even stop there - it's a world-wide brawl for the essential readings. You finally get your hands on Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations, look over your shoulder, start running for the door and get tackled by the person you sit next to in lectures who rips the books from your hands, then makes it through the door, only to be hit round the head by a 2x4 obtained from the new construction areas by the lecturer, who heads to Central Station, only to be pushed onto the tracks, and the book retrieved by another student. It might make university interesting for once, what, having to run for your life.

Anyway, the library was giving books out. I managed to scavenge seventeen from the overwhelming crap that no one has probably borrowed in they were first placed on the shelf. That's not to say what I got were gems. The category I used for selection was "That title could be applicable to something I might be concerned with in the next fifty years, so I'll take it!" I really just stayed in the politics part and grabbed a few books concerning American politics , then moved to the education section and the rest of my grab-bag was about secondary education and special education and stuff like that, knowing that that's a subject I'm doing sooner or later.

All in all, it meant that I got free books. Free anything these days is a good thing, so I went home happy for once (seriously, it's one of the few times), and even got off a CityRail train happy. It was a bizarre experience.

Thomas.

No comments: